Tuesday, April 24, 2007

VIDEO SKYPE EXCHANGE

This week we experienced a new way to finish our Tulane-Padova exchange: through a videocamera!!! Oh, I wish we had done it since the very beginning, I enjoyed it very much, it was really fun!
I appreciated the whole exchange experience. Talking with the Tulane students and in particular with Bari was.. how could I define it.. interactive! I talked a lot in English about different topics and I really used this language, also because when you talk on the phone and cannot use your hands and body to communicate what you want to say, you concentrate all your effort on selecting the write words and putting them into clear sentences. I also paid as much attention possible on my pronounciation in order to be more comprehensible to native speakers. Thinking about it now, perhaps this attention on pronounciation was also a sort of natural behaviour typical of when we try to become similar to the people we have to do with. However, I really liked this experience.
I'm just a bit sorry that I really didn't do much to encourage my peer to speak in Italian. I mean, they just didn't feel very comfortable to speak in Italian and after the first two sentences they switched on to English. Perhaps, if we had had more time it could have been easier to convince them, or it could have been possible to do half of the time in English and half of the time in Italian... ?ill keep this in mind if I ever do any exchange again!
As far as this week's video exchange is concerned, as I mentioned before, it was really fun! Especially when Roberto got the microphone!!! Well, the first part of the exchange, when they talked to us about Virginia was certainly more serious. By listening to them you could understand how much this story shocked them, they really seemed to be very intimately involved with it, especially the first girl who talked. However, then we moved on from this sad and dreadful fact and asked them some questions that had to do with the topics of our presentations. We all had a very good time, we were able to see them, their faces, how they were dressed and how they gesticulated, which, in my opinion are other important factors which helped us to get to know the American culture better.

That's all, I really appreciated this experience and will always remember it as an effective way to get more into a foreign language and culture.

Isabella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home