Sunday, December 10, 2006

My Wiki Experience

This week our task was to write a contribution of our own on educational technologies for a public wiki, e.i. edutech wiki. It was the first time I did something similar and I must admit it was exciting, especially when I went back to see the page I had edited and found my own words!!

Before publishing my work on edutech wiki, I had to follow some steps:
- first of all I went to look at the pages of the wiki and found the one on websites, which still did not have an article on the educational usage of websites. So I chose to give my contribution.
- then I went to google to search for some articles on the subject and found some interesting ones, which I decided to quote. Reading these and other articles I realized, more than I did before, how much the Internet is becoming part of our life and culture and how many learning possibilities it offers, becoming therefore an essential learning tool for any student.
- after I had finished my research and taken notes, I began to write my contribution to the edutech wiki on words.
- the result of this is what you can see on the page 'website' under the title Educational Usage

Among the articles I found during my research, there was one which described the experience of a class in Southern Taiwan which used the Internet and above all Esl websites as an integration to traditional English lessons. The esl websites had been recommended by their teachers and what was nice was that they were some of the sites we had found in del.ici.ous!! Moreover, the article was interesting because it analysed, through some tests given to the students, the effectiveness of this type of language instruction. The result was that "the students found that learning English through Esl/Efl websites was interesting" and motivated them to learn the language.

On the whole, I found this wiki experience valuable. In the beginning I was a little scared because I had never written something in a wiki and I did not know if I was able to do it. Now that I have I still do not know if I did a good work but I tried. What I do know is that I like the idea of having contributed to this edutech wiki and of learning how it works by using it directly on my own.

Isabella

article: Chuo, T.W., & Kung, S.C. (2002). Students' Perceptions of English Learning through ESL/EFL Websites. TESL-EJ, 6(01). Retrieved December 10, 2006, from http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej21/a2.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home